Friday, October 07, 2005

A Big Decision

My eldest dd Talia is in year 2. She started at the local primary school this year as we moved. I was extremely happy with her old school and she was happy there but it is 50km away.
I haven't been happy with the school here, it has been little things like not knowing how she has been going, what level of reading she is up to (I asked but was told that they don't do that here as it causes the kids to be competitive) The school reports are basic and are not as detailed as her old school. Everytime I ask how she is going I am told that academically she is fine. I am happy with the teacher it is the school as a whole...I'm not sure if it is because there are so many students that it lacks the personal touch or what.

Am I being to picky???

The teacher has been great with a few incidences of Bullying - they put a stop to it straight away, unfortunately we live next door to one of the bullies...So all in all Talia has been a bit miserable. I know she wants to go back to her old school.

On the other hand the local school is just that- local and later when she reachers High School it will be the school she will be going to .

So I have been in two minds about what to do...

I went and saw the principle of a small Catholic school that I have been told about. I am not religious but my first concern is my children education. Eloise starts Prep next year so I really needed to get my butt in to gear and sort out schools.

This school is in a small county town 20km away which means 80km round trip every day instead of standing on the door step waving as the kids ride their bikes to school.
It is a very small school with a total of 52 students from prep to year 6 but has an excellent reputation both academic and social.

As soon as I walked in I was welcomed and the Principal personally showed me around (I have spoken to the local principal once and I was never shown around the school when I enrolled Talia at the beginning of this year)

The reports are detailed and you know exactly how your child is doing and what they are meant to be achieving .

so to end a long story I enrolled both girls today...They are both pleased

I just hope I have made the right decision

3 comments:

Mary said...

It sounds like you made a good decision. I went to private Catholic schools too and agree that I got a better education and sense of worth, than alot of my friends who went to the local public schools (that's my experience anyway). I hope it works well for your kids! :-)

jak said...

I agree with Mary, it sounds like you've made a good decision based on what you've said. I went to a Catholic school when I was in kindy & year 1, but my mum wasn't happy with the education I was receiving at the particular school. Like you, she did some research and I ended up at the local primary school which was a better fit. I think it absolutely depends on the school, and your kids education is something that is so important.

Margaret said...

I think you have done your research. You have watched your daughters development. And you have made an informed decision. That is all anyone can ask of a parent. Personally I think you have made the best choice and hopefully you will see your beautiful Talia bounce back to her normal happy self in no time.

Have a great day :)