Saturday, May 31, 2008

I Love Thunder


Today we were forecast thunderstorms, the very thought of this makes me both happy and sad...because....

....I grew up in the Kimberly which has a wet and dry season. In the wet its hot, humid and it rains. But the best of all is the thunderstorms that develop. During the day its so hot and sticky and as the afternoon wears on you can see the thunder heads develop and eventually the distant sound of rolling thunder slowly getting closer and closer. By about 4pm the storm is above and the rain starts. Not the drizzle that happens here in Perth but true torrential rain, so cool and sweet and once it stops it leaves everything fresh and the smell is indescribable.

So I am sitting here listening to the thunder rolling through the sky loving every moment of it...but then

.....Eloise HATES thunder, she spent the first few years of her life in Kununurra so you would think she would be used to it but no, she hears the word thunder and her eyes become as large as saucers and she starts to shake....she is getting a bit better as she is getting older, at least she is not hanging off my leg anymore.
If there is thunder at night I am sure i can here it sooner than the local dogs as I know I will have a little visitor beside my bed terrified. I am a very light sleeper if they have forecast storms at night. The first distant rumble I am up checking on the kids making sure that they are sleeping through it.

Matthew doesn't like them either, at least he sleeps through them. During the day he just runs to his room and hides on his bed.


So do you like or loathe thunder?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I like it if it brings rain and doesnt wake Mitchell up lolol. There was one almighty crack of thunder a couple of months ago and I think EVERYBODY in a 10km radius woke up :(
M was very scared of it when he was younger and I taught him the "I hear Thunder" song which he really liked and so when he was a bit older I told him to ask the teacher to sing it at school (Prep) if he felt scared which he did and it helped him feel better. Eloise is probably a bit old for that tho??
The story I remember from growing up was that thunder was Santa's elves making all the Christmas presents lolol
Good luck
Jen H